Well, I did it. I made the leap into committing to utilizing software in my data analysis by purchasing Transana and contacting Ricardo about the discount for Atlas.ti. Before tonight's class, I was planning to purchase Atlas.ti, but had tentatively decided to stick with Inqscribe, rather than fully exploring the transcription and analysis possibilities in Transana. Now, however, after seeing the usefulness of creating Quick Clips in Transana, I have decided to commit to BOTH analysis software packages. I have been coding in Atlas for a few days now, and I definitely still prefer the intuitive functionality it affords. So, for the time being, I envision using Transana for transcription (I especially like the ease of inserting Jeffersonian notations with Transana) purposes and organization of audio clips via Quick Clips. I'm really excited about then using the audio and transcript clips in conjunction with coding, commenting, and memoing in Atlas.ti.
Like some of my fellow classmates, I was really hoping to find that one program that does it all, but I'm now beginning to see the benefits of exploring a variety of software packages and taking an eclectic approach to implementing only the most useful features of each (useful to me and my research agenda, that is). I am going to try to keep this mindset as I continue to encounter new digital tools.
Jessica's going to join us in Centra on Wednesday and I've asked her to talk a little bit about how she works across Transana and Atlas.ti. Hopefully this will help us all visualize how this may be useful for our projects.
ReplyDelete